The Bell Jar & Other Works is a collection of Sylvia Plath’s most celebrated works. It includes:
* The Bell Jar: a semi-autobiographical novel published shortly before her death.
* The Colossus & Other Poems, published in 1960.
* Ariel, the second book of Sylvia Plath’s poetry
* The Collected Poems of Sylvia Plath, for which she won a posthumous Pulitzer Prize.
* Juvenilia, a selection of 50 poems
I was once told by a friend I would not enjoy Sylvia Plath. They were right.
First, this edition was awful. Full of typos and lazy editing. I do not recommend anyone ever pay money for it.
Second, I do feel like I enjoyed Plath’s style and voice, but after reading the whole thing it was as though I had read a lot of pretty phrases describing nothing. It was just empty words, like eating a bag of popcorn leaves you unsatisfied (or me anyways).
I don’t know if this collection is usual of Plath, but if it is she is not for me. I felt bored reading the strings of prettily placed words.
S.W. Wildwood’s Goodreads